Ahsan A. Jafry
Ahsan A. Jafry is a Member in the firm’s New Jersey office. His practice consists of handling a wide range of complex litigation matters, including defending medical professionals, healthcare providers, and healthcare facilities in medical malpractice matters.
Mr. Jafry, who has repeatedly been recognized by his peers with the New Jersey Super Lawyers© Rising Stars distinction, joined Burns White after working for several years as an Associate in the Health Care Liability Group of a prominent defense litigation firm. He also served as a Deputy Attorney General in the Tort Litigation Section of the Division of Law for the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office.
Outside of private practice, Mr. Jafry was appointed by the Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court to serve on its Committee on Model Civil Jury Charges for the 2010-2012 term, and was re-appointed to serve on the 2012-2014 term. In December 2012, Mr. Jafry became an Adjunct Professor of Law at Rutgers School of Law – Camden, where he teaches trial advocacy.
Mr. Jafry graduated from Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law in 2004, and received a B.S. in Public Health from Rutgers University in 2000.
Areas of Law
- Premise Liability
- Healthcare Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Liability
- Dental Malpractice
- State Board Licensure Matters
- Temple University (J.D., 2004)
- Rutgers University (B.S., 2000)
- New Jersey
- Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey
- South Asian Bar Association of New Jersey
- New Jersey Muslim Lawyers Association
- Board Member
- Burlington County Bar Association
- Diversity Committee
- Civil Practice Committee
- Camden County Bar Association
- Diversity Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Medical Liability and Health Care Committee
- Diversity Committee
- Defended numerous physicians, dentists, nurses, nursing homes, long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities and other medical providers through all aspects of the litigation process, from the inception of the case through trial.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a prosthodontist in a jury trial in Atlantic County Superior Court.
- Assisted as the second chair with the defense of a nursing home in a three-week jury trial in Mercer County Superior Court that resulted in a directed verdict in favor of the defense.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of the New Jersey Department of Corrections in a jury trial in Cumberland County Superior Court.
- Defended New Jersey Transit in a two-week jury trial in Atlantic County Superior Court that ended in a “hung-jury”. The case later settled for a favorable amount.
- Defended the New Jersey Department of Transportation in a two-week jury trial in Gloucester County Superior Court. This was a wrongful death case with significant exposure to the state of New Jersey that settled prior to closing arguments.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the New Jersey Division of Youth and Family Services in a wrongful death case filed in Cumberland County Superior Court. The case involved the death of a two-year-old boy in a house fire.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the New Jersey State Police and a New Jersey State Police detective in Camden County Superior Court in a claim filed by a city of Camden police officer who was injured while working undercover alongside the New Jersey State Police as part of the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Assignment (HIDTA). The state police detective, who was driving an unmarked van, inadvertently struck the city of Camden Police officer, who was on foot. Summary judgment was granted based on the absolute immunity for police pursuit.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection in Gloucester County Superior Court. The case was filed by an elderly woman who suffered a severe ankle fracture when a boating dock structure collapsed on state property. Summary judgment was granted because the dock was illegally built on unimproved state property.
- Named New Jersey Super Lawyers© Rising Star, 2012-2017
- Expert Witness Depositions in Nursing Home Injury Cases: Taking and Defending Depositions, Strafford Publications Inc. Webinar, November 1, 2017
- Ethical Considerations in Long Term Care: The Cullen Act, Health Care Administrators of New Jersey, 69th Annual Convention and Expo, October 26, 2017
- Nursing Home Litigation and Admissibility of Evidence: Proving or Challenging Authentication, Relevance and Hearsay, Strafford Publications Inc. Webinar, July 20, 2017
- Resolving the Arbitration Dispute in Today’s Legal Landscape, Rutgers University Law Review Annual Symposium, April 7, 2017
News & Updates