Christopher M. Jacobs
Christopher M. Jacobs is a Member at Burns White and Co-Chair of its Insurance Coverage and Extracontractual Litigation Group. His practice focuses on the areas of insurance bad faith, insurance coverage, and commercial litigation.
In his extracontractual litigation practice, Mr. Jacobs has served as counsel for major national insurers in actions involving construction defect claims, latent and progressive injury claims, long-tail environmental exposure claims, disputed uninsured and underinsured motorist claims, first-party property losses, and excess verdicts.
Mr. Jacobs’ insurance coverage practice involves the preparation of coverage opinions and analyses in matters involving reservation of rights, disclaimer of coverage, examinations under oath, declaratory judgments, and extracontractual exposure. He has also handled disputes involving trigger, allocation, and reallocation of losses in complex coverage claims; horizontal and vertical exhaustion; the interaction among primary, excess, and umbrella policies; targeted tender issues; and personal and advertising injury claims. Mr. Jacobs is a member of the Insurance and Commercial Litigation Committees of the Defense Research Institute. He is also a member of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute, where he is a frequent speaker on key insurance law developments and insurance bad faith in Pennsylvania.
Prior to joining Burns White, Mr. Jacobs was a Partner at Dapper, Baldasare, Benson, Behling & Kane, P.C., until the firms merged in January 2016.
Mr. Jacobs graduated from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 2002, where he was Research Editor of the University of Pittsburgh Law Review. Mr. Jacobs received a B.A. in Political Science and International Studies, magna cum laude, from the University of Richmond in 1999. He is fluent in both verbal and written Spanish.
Areas of Law
- Extracontractual Insurance Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- University of Pittsburgh (J.D., 2002)
- University of Richmond (B.A., magna cum laude, 1999)
Bar and Court Admissions
- West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- Selected by his peers for the 2011-2016 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” lists
Mr. Jacobs was a member of the Board of Directors of the North Allegheny School District from 2011 to 2015, where he served two terms as Board President. Mr. Jacobs was also a member of the McCandless-Franklin Park Ambulance Authority Board of Directors from 2013 to 2015.
News & Updates