Kimberly W. Young
Kimberly W. Young, a Member in the Pittsburgh office, focuses her practice in the area of Medicare compliance in the settlement of workers’ compensation claims and general liability claims.
Ms. Young received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication from the University of Pittsburgh and subsequently received her Juris Doctor from Duquesne University School of Law. While attending Duquesne University School of Law, Ms. Young interned in the U.S. Attorney’s office for the Western District of Pennsylvania and also worked as a Certified Legal Intern for Pro Se Motions in Allegheny County as part of the Civil & Family Law Clinic.
Prior to joining Burns White, Ms. Young served as a Judicial Law Clerk to the Hon. Debbie O’Dell Seneca, president judge of the Washington County Court of Common Pleas.
Ms. Young is often requested to speak at insurance industry seminars and conventions, as well as to members of the legal community regarding the Medicare Secondary Payer Statute and various areas of Medicare compliance in both workers’ compensation and general liability settlements.
Admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania and the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, Ms. Young is a member of the American Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Washington County Bar Association, and Allegheny County Bar Association.
Areas of Law
- Medicare Compliance
- Workers’ Compensation
- Duquesne University (J.D., 2007)
- University of Pittsburgh (B.A., 1988)
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Washington County Bar Association
- “Ethical Considerations In Medicare Set Asides,” American Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Midwinter Seminar and Conference, March 12, 2016, New Orleans, LA
- “The Three Aspects of Medicare Compliance, What you need to know and why,” Central Claims Executive Association Conference, October 15, 2015, Kansas City, MO
- “Protecting Medicare’s Interest in Workers’ Compensation and Liability Settlements,” National Business Institute, December 11, 2013
“Handling the Workers’ Compensation Case From Start to Finish,” National Business Institute, April 2013
- “Medicare Compliance and the Impact on Liability Settlements,” Central Claims Executive Association Conference, October 2011, Indianapolis, IN
- “Medicare Compliance,” Oklahoma Self-Insurers Association Fall Conference, October 2011, Stillwater, OK
- “Medicare Secondary Payer Act Impact on Property/Casualty Insurance Settlements: A Work in Progress,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, March 2011, Indianapolis, IN
- “The 800-pound Gorilla: Medicare’s Impact on WC,” Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry Workers’ Compensation Conference, June 2011, Hershey, PA
- “A Nightmare on Section 111 Street,” Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry Workers’ Compensation Conference, June 2010, Hershey, PA
- “Areas of Medicare Compliance in the Settlement of Workers’ Compensation and General Liability Claims,” Harrison County Bar Association, Nov. 2, 2009, Bridgeport, WV
- “Medicare Set-Asides and CMS Compliance,” West Virginia Association of Insurance Companies 2009 Annual Meeting, Sept. 2009, Daniels, WV
- “Medicare Compliance Issues,” Pennsylvania Self-Insurers’ Association, Sept. 2009, Pittsburgh
- “Current Issue in Medicare Compliance,” South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association and Claims Management Association Joint Conference, July 2009, Asheville, NC
News & Updates