Michelle A. Allan
Michelle A. Allan is a Member in the Medicare Compliance group who joined Burns White in 2003.
She focuses on Medicare issues that arise in the resolution of workers’ compensation, longshore, Jones Act, and general liability claims.
Michelle has been instrumental in successfully settling tens of thousands of cases nationwide involving Medicare Secondary Payer issues.
Her work includes preparing Medicare Set-Aside Arrangements and having the same approved by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Michelle makes recommendations on how best to consider and protect Medicare’s interests while also balancing her clients’ interests in claims not requiring Medicare approval.
In addition, Michelle negotiates Medicare conditional payments and has saved her clients hundreds of thousands of dollars in lien reimbursements.
Michelle is a recognized national presenter on Medicare Secondary Payer issues, and frequently lectures on the topic of Medicare compliance to insurance carriers, self-insured businesses, third-party administrators, law firms, and other professional organizations.
Michelle is also a 2011 inductee to The Legal Intelligencer’s prestigious class of Lawyers on the Fast Track.
While attending law school, Michelle served as an extern for the United States Magistrate Judge Ila Jeanne Sensenich in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Prior to attending law school, Michelle worked as a journalist, reporting daily news for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Areas of Law
- Medicare Set-Asides
- Workers’ Compensation
- General Liability Litigation
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- Recipient of the Judge David Shahl Memorial Scholarship
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania (B.A., 1996)
Bar and Court Admissions
- MARC Coalition
- Steering Committee Member
- National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals (NAMSAP)
- Membership Committee Co-Chair
- Annual Conference Committee Co-Chair
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Council on Litigation Management
- 2011 Legal Intelligencer “Lawyers on the Fast Track”
- “Medicare Set-Asides (MSAs) — Advanced Techniques and Strategies for Success,” 71st Annual Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference, Orlando, FL, August 2016
- “Medicare Secondary Payer Update — Medicare Advantage and Part D,” 71st Annual Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference, Orlando, FL, August 2016
- “Complete Compliance for NGHP and Medicare Secondary Payer,” MSP Master Class, San Diego, CA, June 2016
- “Update on NGHP Medicare Secondary Payer Legislation and CMS Mandates,” MSP Master Class, San Diego, CA, June 2016
- “Medicare Secondary Payer Rules, Regulations, and Compliance,” MSP Master Class, Orlando, FL, January 2016
- “MSA Cost Mitigation,” California Workers’ Compensation and Risk Conference, Dana Point, CA, September 2015
- “MSP Update – One Year Later Where is MSP?,” 70th Annual Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference, Orlando, FL, August 2015
- “Current Trends and Issues Relating to MSA/MSP Compliance,” National Shipbuilding Research Program, Norfolk, VA, November 2014
- “A View from the Hill and the Importance of a Unified Voice in Washington from the Secondary Payer Community, Workers’ Compensation Institute,” Orlando, FL, August 2014
- “The Medicare Secondary Payer SUPER Roundtable: Oil and Water Do they Mix? Controversial Perspectives and Viewpoints from the Secondary Payer Stakeholder Community, Workers’ Compensation Institute,” Orlando, FL, August 2014
- “Medicare Set-Aside Update,” California Workers’ Compensation and Risk Conference, Dana Point, California, September 2013
- “Medicare – The Dawn of a New Era?,” Longshore Claims Association, Long Beach, CA, February 2013
- Medicare Set-Aside Panel, California Workers’ Compensation and Risk Conference, Dana Point, California, September 2012
- Medicare Set-Aside Panel, Florida Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS) Conference, Naples, FL, August 2012
- “Settlements and Medicare Set-Asides,” Signal Mutual Indemnity Association, Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA, May 2012
- “Settlements: Get it Right,” West Virginia Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference, May 2011
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Fall Program, Greensboro, NC, September 2009
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association, Asheville, NC, July 2009
- “Medicare’s New Prescription Drug Allocation Guidelines and The Anticipated Impact,” Wickstrom Live Webinar, May 2009
- “Updates in Medicare Compliance,” WorkCompCentral Live Seminar, Los Angeles, March 2009
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Spring Program, Greensboro, NC, February 2009
- “Navigating Between Managing Workers’ Compensation Claims and Medicare’s Interest,” Northern California Workers’ Compensation Forum, Monterey, CA, May 2008
- “Medicare Compliance,” Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Indianapolis, June 2007
- “Medicare in Workers’ Comp Settlements: Critical Insights and Guidelines Regarding Medicare Set-Aside Allocations,” Florida Workers’ Compensation Forum, Orlando, FL, June 2006
- “Medicare Set-Asides,” RIMS/PRIMA annual chapter meeting, Williamsburg, VA, October 2005
- “Third-Party Settlements,” Advanced Issues in Medicare, Medipro Seminars, Orlando, FL, October 2005
- “Medicare Set-Asides: What You Don’t Know May Hurt You,” California Workers’ Compensation Forum, Huntington Beach, CA, October 2005
- “Medicare Compliance,” Montgomery County Bar Association, Montgomery County, PA, April 2005
- “Medicare Set-Asides,” Arkansas Self-Insured Association Conference, Hot Springs, AR, March 2005