Russell D. Giancola
Russell D. Giancola is an Associate in the Health Care and Long-Term Care Group at Burns White, defending hospitals, long-term care facilities, physicians, and other health care providers in medical malpractice and other professional liability litigation, and general liability litigation.
Prior to joining Burns White, Mr. Giancola was an Associate at a midsize firm, where he practiced professional liability litigation, products liability, insurance defense, and commercial litigation. Before entering private practice, he served as a Judicial Law Clerk for the Hon. Ronald W. Folino in the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County.
Mr. Giancola graduated from the University of Colorado School of Law in 2005, where he was the Production Editor of the University of Colorado Law Review. He graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and Government in 2002 from the University of Notre Dame.
Actively involved in the legal community, Mr. Giancola is a Duty Officer of the Professional Ethics Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association (ACBA). He also volunteers his time assisting pro se litigants, pro bono, in the alternative dispute resolution (ADR) process through the ACBA Federal Court Section’s pro se ADR program for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Areas of Law
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Long-Term Care Litigation
- Professional Liability Defense
- General Liability Litigation
- University of Colorado (J.D., 2005)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., 2002)
Bar and Court Admissions
- West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Duty Officer, Professional Ethics Committee
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- Co-Chair, Professional Liability Committee
- Successfully obtained a defense verdict for a skilled nursing center in retrial of punitive damages phase after liability for compensatory damages had already been established.
- Successfully defended a trustee in a removal and surcharge action brought by the beneficiary of a trust.
- Successfully obtained a non-suit in a slip-and-fall action against a public housing authority.
- Successfully had punitive damages claim stricken in a wrongful use of civil proceedings claim that proceeded to verdict.
- Successfully settled claims on behalf of a facility management provider against a Fortune 500 company.
- Selected for inclusion on the 2015-2017 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® lists.
- Selected for inclusion on the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” lists from 2011 through 2014.
- St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church
- Pastoral Council
- Knights of Columbus
- Notre Dame Club of Pittsburgh
News & Updates