Travis W. Smith
Travis W. Smith joined the law firm of Burns White in 1999 as a law clerk, and is a Member of the firm. He is also the Founder and Chair of the firm’s Medicare Compliance Practice Group.
Mr. Smith focuses on addressing Medicare issues in workers’ compensation and liability settlements. This includes preparing Medicare Set-Aside Arrangements and having the same approved by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to ensure that Medicare’s interests have been adequately considered as required by the Medicare Secondary Payer Statute.
In addition, he helps parties come to a settlement that protects both their own interests, as well as Medicare’s.
Mr. Smith received his undergraduate degree from Johns Hopkins University in 1997 and his Juris Doctor from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 2000. While at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, he participated in the Appellate Moot Court Competition. Mr. Smith also served as a law clerk for the Washington County Legal Aid Society in 1998.
Mr. Smith is admitted to the Pennsylvania and Allegheny County Bar Associations. He is also admitted to the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. He is an active member of various community and professional organizations.
Areas of Law
- Workers’ Compensation
- Medicare Set-Asides
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law (J.D., 2000)
- Johns Hopkins University (B.S., 1997)
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Selected for inclusion on the 2008 and 2010-2014 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” lists
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 list
News & Updates