Bridging the gap between social diversity and our workplace
We are a world without borders, a global economy, and an increasingly international society — and the demographics of the workplace reflect this evolution.
Burns White recognizes the importance of recruiting qualified candidates of various backgrounds, strives to maintain a diverse and dynamic workforce, and is committed to fostering a supportive and inclusive work community. Our approach is to promote the benefits and values of a diverse and inclusive organization deeply rooted in the call for change. We address challenges, share success stories, and lead strategic efforts toward diversifying our workforce.
Diversity and Inclusion Mission Statement
Burns White believes that promoting diversity and inclusion is essential to the success of the firm, our lawyers, employees, and clients. We are committed to excellence in our fields of endeavor and recognize that when people from various backgrounds feel welcomed and respected, it leads to creative ideas and new perspectives, thus enriching the practice of law. Our mission is to ensure that Burns White’s culture is one of inclusion – at every level and in every aspect of the firm. To that end, we are building on initiatives to improve diversity and inclusion among our employees, developing a pipeline for minority students interested in the legal profession, and collaborating with clients and local organizations who share our commitment to give everyone a voice.
At Burns White, the Committee for Diversity and Inclusion oversees the execution of this mission.
Committee for Diversity and Inclusion: Statement of Purpose
The Committee for Diversity and Inclusion at Burns White is made up of Executive Committee members, partners, associates, and staff who commit significant time:
- Building on the culture of inclusion that makes Burns White collegial and successful
- Guiding the firm’s efforts to recruit, support, and ultimately, retain attorneys and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Partnering with organizations that strive to make their communities more open and accepting
- Educating people, inside and outside the firm, about the work we have done and the work we still have to do
Burns White Student Diversity Initiatives
- Annual hosting of a reception for diverse law students that features guest speakers who are prominent diverse members of the local judiciary and/or corporations. Click here to see a recap of our 2017 Annual Diversity Reception
- Annual informal receptions with local universities as a way for students to meet our lawyers, discuss our firm, and learn more about the practice of law
- Annual participation in university mock interview sessions to critique and help improve student performance
At Burns White, we:
- Nurture key skills essential to the success of the professional development of attorneys, including promoting networking opportunities to help build relationships both inside and outside the firm
- Provide an extensive and proactive mentoring program in which we pair less experienced attorneys with more senior attorneys to ensure that our attorneys will have the tools necessary to succeed at the firm
- Participate actively with the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) and Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA)
- Sponsorship a variety of diverse community organizations
Where We Go From Here
The success of our firm’s diversity efforts do not stop here. We recognize our call to action, and will continue to work hard to mirror the communities in which we live and practice, to the benefit of both our clients and our attorneys.