Daniel J. Twilla
Daniel J. Twilla
Practice AreasInsurance Coverage and Extracontractual Litigation Litigation
Burns White Center
48 26th Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Daniel J. Twilla is a litigator whose practice focuses on insurance bad faith, insurance coverage, and commercial litigation. He is co-chair of the Insurance Practice and Extracontractual Practice group and a Member at Burns White.
Mr. Twilla is an experienced trial attorney representing insurers throughout Pennsylvania in a variety of insurance disputes and has litigated matters arising from a wide range of insurance policies, including general liability, homeowners, and commercial and personal automobile. He has achieved a number of case dismissals and summary judgments in cases involving first-party and third-party bad faith claims. He has successfully tried multiple bad faith cases.
Mr. Twilla is a member of the Defense Research Institute. He is the current Secretary of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute. He also serves as co-chair of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute’s Insurance Law Committee. He has written amicus briefs for the Pennsylvania Defense Institute and the Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies. He also serves on the Board of Directors for the American Inns of Court – Amy Reynolds Hays Chapter.
Mr. Twilla graduated from Allegheny College, cum laude, in 2001, and from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, cum laude, in 2004. While in law school, Mr. Twilla was a Managing Editor of the Journal of Law and Commerce and a legal writing teaching assistant. He served as a law clerk to Administrative Law Judge Gail A. Randall, Drug Enforcement Administration, a position to which he was appointed through United States Attorney General’s Attorney Honors Program.
Mr. Twilla is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, and West Virginia, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Pennsylvania, the Northern District of West Virginia, the Southern District of West Virginia, and the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
Areas of Law
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Insurance Coverage
- Commercial Litigation
- University of Pittsburgh (J.D., cum laude, 2004)
- Allegheny College (B.A., cum laude, 2001)
Bar and Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- State of New Jersey
- State of Ohio
- State of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- The United States Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Board Member
- American Inns of Court, local chapter Board Member
- Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies
- Advanced Auto Law Seminar – Ethical Issues, PBI, October 11, 2018
- Bad Faith, Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Annual Conference, July 2017
- Bad Faith Update, Pennsylvania Defense Institute, July 2016
- Insurance Bad Faith Update – Advanced Auto Law Seminar, PBI, October 2015
- “Courts Find Direct Repair Claims Not So Direct,” The Legal Intelligencer, July 2022
- “Strict Liability Standards for Consumer Protection Law May Impact Insurance Litigation”, The Legal Intelligencer, August 2021
- “Impact of ‘Berg v. Nationwide’: Will It Change Bad Faith Law In PA?”, The Legal Intelligencer, August 2019
- “Insurance Bad Faith Update” – Advanced Motor Vehicle Seminar, October 2015
- “Pennsylvania Bad Faith Committee Update” – Pennsylvania Defense Institute Annual Conference, July 2015
- “Pennsylvania Bad Faith Update” – Pennsylvania Defense Institute Annual Conference, July 2013