Anthony S. Cottone
Associate Anthony S. Cottone primarily defends hospitals and other healthcare facilities, as well as various other professionals, in a large range of litigation matters including professional liability, commercial litigation, employment litigation, general liability, and other miscellaneous matters.
Additionally, Mr. Cottone handles cyber liability and data breach litigation matters, while maintaining a focus on the current state of this rapidly expanding legal field.
Mr. Cottone is a member of the Professional Liability Defense Federation (PLDF), currently serving as the Chair for the Cyber Liability Committee. Through his membership with the PLDF, Mr. Cottone has presented on topics including cyber liability, and has written articles for the PLDF Quarterly. Additionally, he has assisted other PLDF members with drafting a number of amicus curiae briefs.
A former Assistant District Attorney, Mr. Cottone gained significant trial experience in this role serving Chester County, Pennsylvania. He handled all matters of criminal prosecution and successfully tried multiple jury and bench trials to verdict.
Mr. Cottone graduated, cum laude, from Widener University School of Law in 2012. While there, he participated in the Moot Court Honor Society and was inducted into the National Order of the Barristers. Mr. Cottone also completed Widener’s Intensive Trial Advocacy Program.
Rounding out his education, he received a B.S. in Communications and Rhetorical Studies from Syracuse University in 2005.
Mr. Cottone is admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania and the United States District Court for the Middle, Eastern, and Western Districts of Pennsylvania.
Areas of Law
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Professional Liability
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Healthcare Liability
- Premises Liability
- Cybersecurity Liability/Data Breach Defense
- Widener University (J.D., cum laude, 2012)
- Syracuse University (B.S., 2005)
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Chester County Bar Association
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Incoming Chair, Employment Committee
- Obtained a dismissal of the firm’s client, an outpatient radiology center, from a lawsuit involving a delayed diagnosis of cancer.
- Obtained dismissal of hospital client in matter involving allegations of negligence stemming from elbow surgery.
- Obtained dismissal through motion for summary judgment of recovery center client in matter regarding allegations of negligent discharge.
- Obtained dismissal of private client in matter regarding allegations of slip and fall on property.
- Obtained dismissal of hospital client in matter regarding allegations of slip and fall on property.
- Obtained dismissal of hospital client through motion to dismiss regarding pro se allegations of constitutional violations.
- Negotiated nominal settlement for client in data breach matter.
Another Data Breach Defense: Economic Loss Doctrine, Professional Liability Defense Quarterly (PLDQ), Winter 2016
Ransomware, Professional Liability Defense Quarterly (PLDQ), Spring 2017
News & Updates