Jason J. Cervone, LLM
Jason J. Cervone is a Member at Burns White focusing his practice in the areas of banking, business practices, general liability litigation, and railroad defense litigation.
Mr. Cervone, a certified commercial lender and approved title attorney, advises clients including purchasers, sellers, and commercial financial institutions in all facets of commercial transactions. Mr. Cervone handles asset-based and cash flow lending, leveraged acquisitions and recapitalizations, subordinated debt and mezzanine financings, real estate financings, PennDOT permits for commercial real estate, bulk financial asset acquisitions, and other forms of debt and equity financing.
In addition, Mr. Cervone has defended multiple railroads in complex litigation matters throughout the northeast, where his primary focus is on occupational related claims. Prior to joining Burns White, Mr. Cervone was an Associate with an international law firm practicing in Dallas, Texas. There he specialized in corporate finance and general corporate law, with an emphasis on asset management, lender, and financial institution representation.
Mr. Cervone obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree in both Criminal Justice and Political Science from Westminster College in New Wilmington, Pennsylvania in 1996. Subsequently, he obtained his Juris Doctor from the West Virginia University College of Law in 2000, where he became a member of the Order of the Coif. Professionally, Mr. Cervone completed the Pennsylvania Bankers Association’s School of Commercial Lending in June 2013 and the National Trial Advocacy College at the University of Virginia. In June 2019, Mr. Cervone received his LLM in Taxation with certification in State and Local Tax from the University of Villanova Charles Widger School of Law.
Admitted to the Texas, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia Bars, Mr. Cervone is also a member of the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, the Pennsylvania Bankers Association, and the Commercial Association of Realtors of Pittsburgh.
Areas of Law
- Real Estate
- Financial Transaction / Banking
- General Liability Litigation
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law (LLM, 2019)
- West Virginia University College of Law (J.D., 2000)
- Westminster College (B.A., 1996)
- West Virginia
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Pennsylvania Bankers Association
- NAIOP – Commerical Association of Realtors of Pittsburgh
Board Member, Every Child, Inc.
- Prepared the documentation for and represented a purchaser/borrower in a $17 million asset purchase for a new line of business selling and leasing energy equipment, and the refinance of a waste water treatment facility.
- Represented a financial institution in and documented the transaction to finance $3 million of improvements to a waste water treatment system of a municipal authority.
- Represented a financial institution in and documented a $2 million bond refinancing of a local municipal authority.
- Represented a financial institution in and documented the transaction for $17 million to fund the construction of a new hotel.
- Represented a seller in an $8 million sale of a local franchise which also involved the sale of commercial real estate.
- Represented a financial institution in and documented the transaction for the refinancing of an $8 million term loan and $3 million revolving line of credit.
- Obtained a summary judgment on behalf of a Class I railroad client in a toxic exposure case.
- Successfully represented a transportation security officer supervisor appealing a wrongful termination by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). The officer was reinstated with full back pay by the Office of Professional Responsibility Appellate Review Board.
- Successfully secured a dismissal with prejudice on behalf of a Class I railroad client where the plaintiff, a former employee, alleged an occupational illness of coal miner’s pneumoconiosis. Burns White challenged the methodology of the plaintiff’s expert’s diagnosis based upon the Frye standard.