Matthew G. Brouse
Matthew G. Brouse is a Member experienced in a wide range of litigation and transactional matters affecting clients in the oil and gas, and transportation industries.
As Chair of the Energy Group, Mr. Brouse assists clients in the oil and gas industry in both litigation and transactional matters. Primarily, Mr. Brouse defends energy companies in oil and gas litigation, with an emphasis on contract disputes, personal injury claims, and lease disputes. On the transactional side, Mr. Brouse, who also manages the firm’s transactional team, handles due diligence review, title curative measures, and certified title opinions in oil and gas land acquisitions. One of his largest transactions to date involved the successful management of an oil and gas exploration client’s 30,000-acre land acquisition in eastern Ohio.
Additionally, Mr. Brouse has experience defending transportation clients in toxic tort litigation, with a specific concentration on diesel exhaust and asbestos exposure.
Mr. Brouse is admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Montana, West Virginia, the United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, the United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Pennsylvania, and the United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia. He is a member of the American Bar Association, Allegheny Bar Association, Montana Bar Association, Ohio State Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association, and West Virginia Bar Association. Additionally, he provides pro bono legal services through his work with Neighborhood Legal Services and the Pittsburgh Pro Bono Partnership at the McKees Rocks Legal Clinic.
Mr. Brouse is a graduate of the Duquesne University School of Law, where he was a member of the Sports & Entertainment Law Society. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Youngstown State University, majoring in education. While at Youngstown, he was a member of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Fraternity, president of the Pre-Law Club, a member of the Youngstown State University football team, recipient of President’s Council Excellence Award for the Gateway Football Conference, awarded the Four Square Club Academic Player of the Year, and the recipient of the Vindicator Scholar Athlete Award.
Prior to joining Burns White, Mr. Brouse served as a law clerk, and worked as a substitute teacher at Pittsburgh Central Catholic High School.
Areas of Law
- Business Law
- Duquesne University School of Law (J.D., 2010)
- Youngstown State University (B.S., summa cum laude, 2006)
Bar and Court Admissions
- West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- American Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Montana Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Selected by his peers for the 2015-2019 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” lists
- Recognized as one of Pittsburgh Business Times’ Who’s Who in Energy: Pittsburgh-Region Lawyers, 2017
- Junior Achievement of Western Pennsylvania Young Professionals Board of Directors
- “Will Texas Ruling Impact Pennsylvania’s Oil and Gas Jurisprudence?,” Legal Intelligencer–Energy/Environmental Section, July 25, 2017.
- “Introduction: Law, Technology, & Energy in Pittsburgh,” 14 U. Pitt. J. Tech. L. & Pol’y 1, 2013
- “Succeeding in a Summer Associate Program: What Law School Doesn’t Teach You” The Legal Intelligencer, July 2010
Outside of the legal profession, Mr. Brouse serves on the Young Professionals Board of Junior Achievement of Western Pennsylvania.