Ruth R. Wessel
Ruth R. Wessel is Of Counsel at Burns White, with a practice focused on medical malpractice defense. Ms. Wessel has more than 30 years of experience defending hospitals, physicians, and other hospital staff in complex malpractice claims. She is based out of the Philadelphia office.
In addition to extensive trial court experience, Ms. Wessel handles appeals in all state and federal appellate courts. She also regularly advises clients on issues impacting their possible exposure to litigation, including those related to risk management and insurance coverage.
Prior to joining Burns White, Ms. Wessel was a Partner at a midsize Philadelphia-area law firm, where she chaired its Medical Malpractice Group and co-chaired its Professional Liability Practice Group. There, she handled medical malpractice, products liability, and general personal injury claims impacting the healthcare and insurance industries.
Ms. Wessel graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law in 1979. She received a B.A. from the State University of New York at Binghamton in 1973.
Ms. Wessel is admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Outside of the legal profession, Ms. Wessel serves on the Board of Directors of Theatre Horizon.
Areas of Law
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Professional Liability Litigation
- Temple University (J.D., 1979)
- State University of New York at Binghamton (B.A., 1973)
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 peer rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- Theatre Horizon, Board of Directors
News & Updates