Courtney C. Brennan
Courtney C. Brennan
Burns White Center
48 26th Street
Pittsburgh PA 15222
Courtney C. Brennan is an Associate in the firm’s Litigation Practice Group focusing in the areas of employment, business and complex and commercial litigation.
Ms. Brennan has second-chair jury trial experience and second-chair bench trial experience. She regularly litigates matters in Pennsylvania’s federal and state courts. Ms. Brennan is frequently involved in actions regarding race, sex, age, religious and disability discrimination, as well as claims for harassment, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, retaliation and breach of employment-related contracts, including but not limited to employment agreements, non-compete agreements, non-solicitation agreements, trade secrets, and confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements.
Prior to accepting a position with the firm, Ms. Brennan worked as a summer law clerk at Burns White. While in law school at Duquesne University, she worked at the University’s Office of General Counsel, drafting policies, reviewing and drafting affiliation and service agreements, and conducting legal research on compliance related to FERPA, Title IX, ADA and Title VII.
At Duquesne University School of Law, Ms. Brennan received CALI Awards for Excellence in Contracts I and II, Trial Advocacy, and was awarded the Best Legal Brief Award in Legal Research and Writing. She was a member of the Duquesne Law Review and Duquesne Trial Advocacy Program, and received an individual award at the Lone Star Classic National Mock Trial Tournament. She graduated, magna cum laude, from Washington & Jefferson College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics.
Ms. Brennan has been selected by her peers as part of “Ones to Watch” by Best Lawyers in America®, 2023. She is a current member of the Allegheny County Bar Association and Duquesne University School of Law Alumni Association. She is licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Areas of Law
- Employment Liability Practices
- Business Practices
- Complex and Commercial Litigation
- General Litigation
- Duquesne University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2019)
- Washington & Jefferson College (B.A., Economics, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 2016)
Bar and Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Duquesne University School of Law Alumni Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
Accolades & Involvement
- Selected by her peers as “Ones to Watch” by Best Lawyers in America®, 2023
- CALI Awards for Excellence, Contracts I and II, Trial Advocacy – Trial Team, Duquesne University School of Law
- Best Legal Brief Award in Legal Research and Writing, Duquesne University School of Law
- Best Direct Examination Individual Award, Lone Star Classic National Mock Trial Tournament
- Strip District Neighbors, Board of Advisors
- “Non-Competes In The Workplace: Highlighting Risks & Realities Of Restrictive Covenants,” Burns White Employment Law Webinar, March 2022
- “How Can Employers Reduce Risk with Smartphones & Their Role in e-Discovery?,” Burns White Employment Law Webinar, December 2021
- “Emerging Trends in COVID-19 Litigation and Practical Advice for Health Care Administrators and HR Teams” Pennsylvania Health Care Association Webinar, May 2021
- “COVID-19 Litigation – What Employers Can Expect” Burns White Employment Law Webinar, April 2021
- “COVID-19 Vaccine: What Employers Need to Know” Pennsylvania Self-Insurers’ Association Webinar, April 2021
- “Key Issues in Creating a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy Webinar” Master Builders’ Association Webinar, January 2021
- “What’s on the Horizon for Employment Law? 2020 Highlights and Other Developments” Burns White Employment Law Webinar, December 2020
- “Employer Update – Returning to work after COVID-19, are you prepared?” Burns White Employment Law Webinar, May 2020
- “The Interplay of Workers’ Compensation, FMLA and ADA,” Lawyers Journal, April 2023
- “Non-Competes & Other Restrictive Covenants: What Employers In PA Need To Know,” Burns White Insights, April 2022
- “COVID-19 Litigation – What Employers Need to Know”, Burns White Insights, April 2021
- “Privacy, Possession & Preservation: E-Discovery Considerations For Pennsylvania Employers”, Burns White Insights, February 2022
- Successfuly obtained summary judgment in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania for a non-profit organization in Pennsylvania sued by a former employee who alleged that he was sexually harassed by his supervisor, and then retaliated against for reporting the harassment.
- Obtained partial summary judgment for a privately-owned skilled rehabilitation and long-term care facility in Pennsylvania which was sued by a former employee who alleged that she was pretextually terminated because she allegedly engaged in misconduct with a patient.