Diversity & Inclusion
For more information regarding Burns White diversity and inclusion initiatives, including the Annual Diversity Reception, please contact:
Developing diversity in our workplace
We recognize the importance of recruiting qualified candidates of various backgrounds, and strive to maintain a diverse, dynamic workforce and a supportive and inclusive work community.
Our approach to diversity and inclusion is to promote the benefits and values of a diverse and inclusive organization deeply rooted in the call for change. We address challenges, share success stories, and lead strategic efforts toward diversifying our workforce.
Diversity and Inclusion Mission Statement
For more than 30 years, we’ve been building strong relationships with clients in a wide range of industries by understanding their needs, thinking proactively, and delivering sound legal strategies that advance their objectives. As a client, you’ll be supported by a select team of specialized attorneys, paralegals, information technology specialists, and administrators organized around your specific industry — with one of our innovative, experienced lawyers at the center. Most of all, you’ll see the value of an experienced legal partner who shares your commitment to success.
Burns White believes that promoting diversity and inclusion is essential to the success of the firm, our lawyers, employees, and clients. We are committed to excellence, and recognize that when people from various backgrounds feel welcomed and respected, it leads to creative ideas and new perspectives. This enriches the practice of law.
Our mission is to ensure that Burns White’s culture is one of inclusion – at every level and in every aspect of the firm. To that end, we are building on initiatives to improve diversity and inclusion among our employees, developing a pipeline for minority students interested in the legal profession, and collaborating with clients and local organizations who share our commitment to give everyone a voice.
Overseeing this mission, our Committee for Diversity and Inclusion is committed to:
- Building on the culture of inclusion that makes Burns White collegial and successful
- Guiding the firm’s efforts to recruit, support, and ultimately, retain attorneys and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Partnering with organizations that strive to make their communities more open and accepting
- Educating people, inside and outside the firm, about the work we have done, and the work we still have to do
Midsize Mansfield Rule Certification
At Burns White, achieving Midsize Mansfield Rule certification is important, as we are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace to facilitate change for underrepresented lawyers in the legal industry. Burns White has partnered with Diversity Lab in the 2021-2023 Midsize Mansfield Rule certification program. The program is modeled after the original Mansfield Rule and will include approximately 70 midsize law firms.
The Midsize program is designed to increase the representation of diverse lawyers in leadership roles by broadening the pool of women, LGBTQ+ lawyers, lawyers with disabilities, and/or racial/ethnic minority lawyers who are considered for entry-level and lateral attorney job openings, leadership opportunities, equity partner promotions, and opportunities to connect with clients.
Student Diversity Initiatives
- Annual hosting of a reception for diverse law students that features guest speakers who are prominent diverse members of the local judiciary and/or corporations.
- Read about our 2019 Annual Diversity Reception
- Annual informal receptions with local universities as a way for students to meet our lawyers, discuss our firm, and learn more about the practice of law
- Annual participation in university mock interview sessions to critique and help improve student performance
We support a diverse workforce by:
- Nurturing key skills essential to the success of the professional development of attorneys, including promoting networking opportunities to help build relationships both inside and outside the firm
- Providing an extensive and proactive mentoring program in which we pair less experienced attorneys with more senior attorneys to ensure that our attorneys will have the tools necessary to succeed at the firm
- Participating actively with the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) and Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA)
- Sponsoring a variety of diverse community organizations
Where We Go From Here
The success of our firm’s diversity efforts are ongoing. We recognize our call to action, and will continue to work hard to mirror the communities in which we live and practice, to the benefit of both our clients and our attorneys.