Practice AreasBanking and Financial Services Law Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Services Business Practices and Commercial Transactions Employment Practices Liability Estate and Trust Planning Services Healthcare and Long-Term Care Nonprofit Real Estate and Property Services Transportation and Logistics
Burns White Center
48 26th Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Member Mark Stadler regularly assists business entities and individual business owners in the negotiation and closing of routine and complex commercial transactions and in the resolution of business disputes. He is well versed in all aspects of business operations, including business planning; entity formation and tax matters; mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; corporate structuring and reorganization; governance and management issues; and third-party contracting.
As a subset of this general business practice, Mark represents healthcare providers, charities, nonprofits, and related enterprises. In this role, he serves as general counsel to hospitals, nursing homes, home health agencies, assisted living and personal care facilities, individual physicians and physician groups, as well as various social service agencies, business associations, educational institutions and religious groups. Among the matters Mark handles for these clients are third-party payer issues, licensure and professional rights disputes, reimbursement appeals, regulatory matters, tax exemption issues, employment matters, and antitrust compliance. He also represents these clients before federal, state, and local courts; regulatory agencies; taxing bodies; and private tribunals.
Mark also regularly handles real estate transactions and assists individual clients in estate planning and estate administration.
Mark has practiced in Pittsburgh for over 37 years. He speaks regularly on issues of significance to businesses, especially those in the healthcare and nonprofit arenas; and he has published numerous articles in magazines and journals, such as Hospital News, Physician News Digest, Assisted Living Success, Hospital Law Newsletter, the Bulletin of the Allegheny County Medical Society, and the Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organizations’ Bulletin.
Areas of Law
- Business / Financial Transactions
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning and Administration
- University of Pittsburgh (J.D., 1981)
- Yale University (B.A., 1978)
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Committee on Tax Exempt Organizations
- Health Law Section
Accolades & Involvement
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation, 2022-2024
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 peer rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- Named 2012-2013 Top Rated Lawyers list by Corporate Counsel’s Guide to Health Care Law
- Member of the Law Review at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law and Business Editor of the Inaugural issue of The Journal of Law and Commerce
- Vincentian Collaborative System Board of Directors
- Treasurer, 2011-2014
- Chair of Finance Committee, 2011-2014
- Yale Club of Pittsburgh
- Board Member and Treasurer, 2000-2010
- Delegate to national Association of Yale Alumni, 2002-2005
- Represented community leaders in acquiring governance of a local hospital from a national healthcare system.
- Negotiated and closed hospital, nursing home, assisted living and home health agency merger, asset sale and affiliation transactions.
- Structured and closed physician practice sales and buy-out transactions.
- Resolved Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance overpayment, False Claims Act and fraud disputes.
- Developed and implemented physician recruitment and retention programs.
- Negotiated third party payor contracts for hospitals and other providers.
- Represented hospitals, nursing homes, and home health agencies in reimbursement appeals.
- Established numerous nonprofit and charitable entities; secured and defended all applicable federal, state and local income, sales and real estate tax exemptions.
- Successfully defended a nonprofit entity, from trial through Pennsylvania Supreme Court proceedings, against financial claims asserted by a break-away group volunteers.
- Designed, implemented, and administered estate and succession plans for business owners, executives, and professionals.