Daniel J. Margonari
Daniel J. Margonaridjmargonari@burnswhite.com
Daniel J. Margonari is a member in the firm’s Healthcare Group. He focuses a majority of his practice representing hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare professionals and entities with medical malpractice claims. He has also assisted healthcare clients with regulatory and corporate matters, and guided several providers through board investigation proceedings. Mr. Margonari has counseled healthcare clients and medical staffs on a litany of issues from peer review to risk management.
Mr. Margonari is experienced in all aspects of complex litigation and trial practice. He has has managed large scale e-discovery projects and been involved extensively in consolidated case coordination. A well-rounded litigator, Mr. Margonari has litigated matters on behalf clients in industries including: healthcare, insurance, hospitality, financial services, and manufacturing. He has mediated several cases, has been involved in multiple jury trials, and has acted as lead defense counsel in an array of arbitration cases on behalf of corporate clients.
Prior to joining Burns White, Mr. Margonari practiced tax law for an international consulting firm and was an associate at a regional defense firm. Prior to law school and throughout his undergraduate education, Mr. Margonari worked in marketing, promoting regional, national, and international brands through various channels.
In law school, Mr. Margonari was a law clerk for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, and for Hon. Gary P. Caruso, in the Westmoreland County Court of Common Pleas. Mr. Margonari was also the Senior Business Manager and Editorial Board Member of the University of Pittsburgh Law Review.
He is admitted to the Pennsylvania bar, the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, and United States Court of Federal Claims. He is a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association.
Areas of Law
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Professional Liability Litigation
- Complex and Commercial Litigation
- University of Pittsburgh (J.D., 2011, magna cum laude)
- University of Pittsburgh (B.S.B.A., summa cum laude, 2008)
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- PAHCRM (Pennsylvania Association of Healthcare Risk Management
- 2021 President-Elect
- Board Member
- Selected by his peers as “Ones to Watch” by Best Lawyers in America®, 2021-2022
- Selected for inclusion on the 2017 – 2021 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” lists
- Order of the Coif, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Top 10% law school graduating class
- ABA-BNA Award for Excellence in the study of Labor and Employment Law
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Legal Analysis and Writing, Criminal Procedure, and Employment Discrimination
- Legal Update: Expiration of Claims, Medical Provider Liability to Third Parties, and Peer Review, PAHCRM Annual Fall Conference, September 2020
- Informed Consent and Impact of Recent Legal Decisions; PAHCRM Annual Fall Conference, September 2019
- Pennsylvania Medical-Legal Update: Forum Shopping and Peer Review, PAHCRM Spring Educational Day, April 2019
- 2018 Hospital Privilege Update, Burns White Insights, January 2019
- Medical Malpractice: Reginelli Peer Review Case Update, Burns White Updates, April 2018
- Co-author, “The Evolving Landscape of Concussion Litigation” ACI’s 2nd Annual Summit on Brain Injury Claims & Litigation, March 2013
- Co-chaired complex medical malpractice case to defense verdict and successfully defended verdict on appeal
- Obtained dismissal of a methadone clinic, successfully defending the position that the clinic does not owe a duty to unknown third parties who are injured as a result of the acts of its patients
- Provided multiple in-service presentations to physicians, nurses, and healthcare administrators on a variety of topics, including peer review, HIPAA, informed consent, and risk mitigation
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in bellwether case on behalf of a healthcare client in consolidated litigation involving over 100 individual plaintiffs
- Successfully defended multiple arbitrations involving breach of warranty claims against various automotive manufacturers