David R. Johnson
David R. Johnson[email protected]
Attorney David R. Johnson is a seasoned trial attorney and litigator who has defended healthcare professionals and hospitals in medical malpractice cases for more than 35 years. Recognized for his depth of knowledge and skill, a special focus has been birth trauma cases, as well as head injury and sports injury lawsuits. He has represented healthcare institutions in lawsuits involving antitrust and whistle blower claims, directors and officers liability, discrimination cases, business litigation and medical staff credentialing disputes. In addition, he has extensive experience handling class-action law suits, as well as products liability, toxic tort, and employment cases.
Prior to joining Burns White, Mr. Johnson was president of a defense firm in the Pittsburgh region. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, whose members are limited to 1% of the Bar, and is also a Fellow of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County. He has served as lead counsel in over 120 jury trials in both state and federal court throughout Pennsylvania as well as in several other states. He has been appointed as a special master for both jury and non-jury trials in Allegheny County, and has presided as a mediator and appointed arbitrator in federal court.
Mr. Johnson is a graduate of Duquesne University School of Law.
Areas of Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Liability Litigation
- Products Liability
- Mass Tort and Toxic Tort Litigation
- Duquesne University (J.D.)
- Dickinson College (B.A.)
- Successfully represented defendants in the nation’s first jury verdict involving the death of a healthcare worker from AIDS
- Won a substantial counterclaim verdict while successfully defending a seven-figure breach of computer contract case
- Successfully defended a large breach of contract claim in Arkansas on the basis that the contract was in violation of the fraud and abuse laws so as to void the agreement
- Upheld exclusive contracts, maintained restrictive covenants, and defeated anti-trust claims filed against various Pennsylvania hospitals
- Defense verdicts include a cerebral palsy lawsuit where plaintiffs demanded $10.8 million, and a cerebral palsy case with twins
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County
- Selected for inclusion on the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list every year since 2005
- Regularly recognized by peers as one of the Best Lawyers in America
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, top 50 lawyer in Pittsburgh