Robert J. Behling
For more than 35 years, Member Robert J. Behling has served a variety of industries in all manners of litigation, including commercial litigation, general liability, automotive and motor carrier liability, aviation litigation, and products liability claims throughout Pennsylvania and West Virginia. He currently serves as Co-Chair of the Retail and Hospitality Group.
A substantial portion of his practice involves the representation of both entities and principals in the retail automobile industry. Mr. Behling serves as general counsel to a number of franchised automobile dealerships, in addition to representing the interests of insurers of these risks.
Mr. Behling maintains an active practice involving outdoor recreation risks, including camps, outfitters, venues, and sanctioning entities. An approved attorney for Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association Legal Services Plan, Mr. Behling provides representation to certificate holders in enforcement actions directed against pilots and mechanics.
In addition to his active trial practice, Mr. Behling serves as both a mediator and arbitrator in injury and commercial matters. Mr. Behling is certified in the requirements for the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania through formal mediation training at Duke University.
Prior to joining Burns White, Mr. Behling was a Partner at Dapper, Baldasare, Benson, Behling & Kane, P.C., until the firms merged in January 2016, and he was a Founding Partner of Pietragallo, Bosick & Gordon.
Mr. Behling graduated from the University of Baltimore School of Law and received a B.S. in Economics from Catholic University.
Active in the legal community, Mr. Behling is a member of the American Bar Association, Allegheny County Bar Association, Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, and the Pennsylvania Defense Institute. Mr. Behling also served as a Hearing Officer for the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s Disciplinary Committee from 2005-2011.
Mr. Behling is admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the Western District of Pennsylvania, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia, Third Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
He serves on the Board of Directors of the Cancer Caring Center and is the Founder and Board Member of the Pittsburgh Predators Youth Hockey Club.
Areas of Law
- Commercial Litigation
- General Liability
- Automotive and Motor Carrier Liability
- Retail and Hospitality
- Aviation Litigation
- Products Liability
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- University of Baltimore (J.D., 1979)
- Catholic University (B.S., 1974)
Bar and Court Admissions
- West Virginia United States Supreme Court
- United State Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- American Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® 2021-2022
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 peer rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- Member, Board of Directors, Cancer Caring Center
- Pittsburgh Predators Youth Hockey Club
- Board of Directors, Member