Andrew J. Fuga
Andrew J. Fuga is a Member of the firm and is based in its Philadelphia office.
Mr. Fuga primarily defends clients in actions arising from professional and general liability. These include professional liability claims against architects, engineers, and other design professionals, alleging damages for delay, design defects, property damage, and personal injuries. Mr. Fuga also defends construction industry clients, hospitals, universities, retail companies, and other non-profit corporations against a wide range of personal injury claims, including those for catastrophic loss. Additionally, Mr. Fuga counsels his clients with respect to their contracts and insurance policies.
As part of his alternative dispute resolution practice, Mr. Fuga serves as a court appointed arbitrator for the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas, and Judge Pro Tem for the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas.
Areas of Law
- Construction Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Insurance Law
- General Liability
- Duquesne University (J.D., 2005)
- University of Pittsburgh (B.S., 2002)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- American Institute of Architects Philadelphia Chapter (affiliate member)
- Received affirmation from the Superior Court of Pennsylvania granting a motion to transfer a lawsuit filed in Philadelphia County to Centre County based on forum non conveniens on behalf of a civil engineering firm. The lawsuit alleged catastrophic personal injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident.
- Received affirmation from the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Appellate Division, 4th Department (Pro Hac Vice Admission) of the dismissal of a complaint filed against an engineering firm which included breach of contract and professional negligence allegations, based on a forum selection clause in a multimillion dollar property damage lawsuit.
- Obtained summary judgment in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania for a structural engineering firm that provided professional services to a condominium developer in a multi-million dollar lawsuit brought by the condominium association.
- Obtained a discontinuance of a lawsuit filed by a contractor against an architectural firm related to an oil release during the construction of a public school in Carbon County, Pennsylvania.
- Successfully defended a design firm that served as a municipal Building Code Official against six property damage lawsuits in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania where the cases settled at mediation.
- Successfully defended a mechanical engineering firm from a condominium developer’s multi-million dollar claim for construction defects and project delays in Monmouth County, New Jersey where the case settled at mediation.
- Obtained a discontinuance of a lawsuit filed in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania against an engineering firm arising out of a pedestrian accident near a transportation facility.
- Obtained summary judgment in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania for a large university stemming from a personal injury claim on a construction project at one of its medical facilities where the university was fully indemnified for all legal costs related to the lawsuit.
- Obtained multiple defense verdicts at arbitration in separate premises liability lawsuits brought against a large university in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
- Successfully defended an architectural firm against a property owner’s claim for alleged mold and water infiltration damages to a multi-unit residential building in Berks County, Pennsylvania where the case settled at mediation.
- Successfully defended a mechanical engineering firm against a non-profit group’s claim for alleged deficiencies in the mechanical design of an indoor pool system in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania where the case settled at mediation.
- Successfully defended a hospital in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania against a personal injury claim stemming from an alleged elevator accident where the hospital paid nothing toward the settlement with the plaintiff.
- Successfully defended a grocery store chain against a lawsuit for catastrophic personal injuries in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
- Successfully defended a medical center which is part of a large health system in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania against a premises liability lawsuit where the medical center was dismissed and subsequently indemnified for its legal fees and costs.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a non-profit land owner in a lawsuit stemming from a premises liability claim made by a bar patron of the client’s tenant.
- Selected for inclusion on the 2014 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” list
News & Updates
- “Professional Negligence vs. Negligent Misrepresentation,” The Legal Intelligencer, August 7, 2012
- “The Structure of the Construction Industry and the Law – The Balance between the Owner, the Architect, the Construction Manager and the Subcontractor: A Look at the Procedure of Large-Scale Construction Projects and the Many Legal Issues that Result,” Duquesne Business Law Journal, 2005