Joseph A. Macerelli
Member Joseph A. Macerelli concentrates his practice in the areas of medical malpractice and other professional liability, personal injury, insurance, and products liability defense. A seasoned trial attorney, he has more than 35 years of experience representing medical professionals, hospitals, and other healthcare providers in state and federal courts.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Macerelli employs other forms of dispute resolution when beneficial to his clients’ interests. An appointed alternative dispute resolution (ADR) mediator and arbitrator by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, he has completed 40 hours of formal mediation training through the Western Pennsylvania Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
Mr. Macerelli is Past President of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County and the Pennsylvania Defense Institute. He also held a three-year term as the Pennsylvania State Representative for the Defense Research Institute.
Mr. Macerelli graduated from Duquesne University School of Law in 1981 and received a B.A. from the University of Pittsburgh in 1976.
Areas of Law
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Professional Liability
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Duquesne University (J.D., 1981)
- University of Pittsburgh (B.A., 1976)
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Washington County Bar Association
- Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- Recognized annually on the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® lists since 2005
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016-2017 for Medical Malpractice Law Defense
- Peer rated AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 in Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for the Allegheny County Bar Foundation Fellows Program
An active member of his community, Mr. Macerelli currently serves as Board Chairman of Canonsburg General Hospital, Chairman of the West Penn Allegheny Health System and a member of the Allegheny Health Network Board of Directors. He is also a former board member of the University of Pittsburgh Varsity Letter Club, where he was honored by the club as an Awardee of Distinction in 2002.
News & Updates
A movie and theater buff, Mr. Macerelli has performed in a number of local theatrical and musical productions throughout the years. The most notable of which was his role as Juror #3 in Twelve Angry Men at Stage 62 in Carnegie, Pa. He has also performed at Little Lake Theater in Pittsburgh’s South Hills in collaboration with his daughter who is the Artistic Director of Looking Glass Theater.