Patrick L. Mechas
Co-Chair of the firm’s Healthcare and Long-Term Care Practice Group, Pat has 20 years of legal experience defending professional negligence claims on behalf of medical and healthcare professionals, assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, long-term acute care hospitals, and management services companies.
A seasoned litigator, Pat seeks the most efficient, cost-effective methods, including arbitration and mediation, to resolve conflicts on behalf of his clients.
In addition to his extensive healthcare practice, Pat has defended numerous products liability and general liability matters on behalf of businesses from a variety of industries.
Areas of Law
- Medical malpractice
- Long-term care
- Products liability
- General liability
- Duquesne University School of Law (J.D., 1990)
- Carnegie Mellon University (B.S., Administration and Management Science, 1981)
Bar and Court Admissions
- West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- Secured a defense verdict in an action initiated against the designer and manufacturer of a dental prosthetic device which plaintiff claimed failed as a result of a defective design.
- Successfully defended the first Pennsylvania action brought by a nationally-renowned plaintiffs’ firm against a skilled nursing facility alleging substandard care.
- Secured a favorable settlement on behalf of a world-wide manufacturer of electrical transmission products in two separate actions. Fire erupted in a commercial building in which one worker was killed and the other was severely injured. The plaintiffs claimed the fire was caused by a defective component part produced by the manufacturer and filed suit alleging negligence, products liability and breach of warranty and sought wrongful death and survival action damages with extensive economic loss claims. Burns White argued that the product performed as it was intended to be used and that the fire was caused by human error.
- Secured a defense verdict in the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia in a products liability suit on behalf of an international designer and manufacturer of coating equipment. While cleaning a machine, the plaintiff’s hand was trapped in a roller resulting in a partial amputation. Burns White successfully argued that the plaintiff assumed the risk by not following proper safety procedures while cleaning the machine.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on behalf of a long-term care facility in an action brought in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. The court ruling resulted in a dismissal of an intentional infliction of emotional distress claim. The action was dismissed by the federal court with leave to re-file in state court relative to a remaining conversion claim.
- AV® Preeminent™ 4.5 out of 5 peer rated in Martindale-Hubbell
Out of the office, Pat has devoted time to various community and youth organizations including, the Green Tree Athletic Association and the Chartiers Boys and Girls Club.
News & Updates