D. Matthew Jameson III
D. Matthew Jameson III
Burns White Center
48 26th Street
Pittsburgh PA 15222
D. Matthew Jameson III serves as co-chair of the Construction Law Practice Group at Burns White. A seasoned trial attorney, for over thirty years he has represented a wide variety of contractors, subcontractors, owners, architects and construction managers in all aspects of construction law, including construction bid protests, construction contract review and drafting, prosecuting and defending construction delay, acceleration, inefficiency claims and construction payment disputes (including performance and payment issues and mechanics’ lien issues). Mr. Jameson also has extensive experience in handling complex commercial litigation matters. He has represented clients in trials and hearings before various courts, administrative tribunals, and alternative dispute resolution forums, including the Supreme Court of the United States, numerous United States District Courts and Courts of Appeals, the United States Court of Federal Claims, various state courts, the Pennsylvania Board of Claims, and the American Arbitration Association. For many of his clients, Mr. Jameson essentially serves as outside general counsel involving other attorneys at Burns White (and other firms) as needed. In addition, Mr. Jameson is also routinely asked to serve as a mediator or arbitrator in a variety of construction disputes.
Mr. Jameson prides himself in recognizing that clients are not in business to pay legal fees and his approach to the practice of law reflects that reality. He provides clients with cost-effective advice designed to keep them out of disputes. Where disputes are unavoidable, he will aggressively represent the interests of those clients while remaining open to resolving the dispute amicably so that clients can preserve their business relationships.
He is an active member of the Allegheny County Bar Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Association, the New Jersey Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. He is consistently recognized among the best construction lawyers. Mr. Jameson earned his undergraduate degree from the Pennsylvania State University in 1988 and then graduated with honors from the Rutgers University School of Law in 1992 where he won the Judge James Hunter III Memorial Advanced Moot Court Competition and served as editor-in-chief of the Rutgers Law Journal. After law school, Mr. Jameson served a one-year clerkship with the Honorable Michael Patrick King, Presiding Judge of the Appellate Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey.
Areas of Law
- Construction Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Professional Liability Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Rutgers University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1992)
- The Pennsylvania State University (B.A., 1988)
Bar and Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Courts for New Jersey
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Master Builders’ Association of Western Pennsylvania
Accolades & Involvement
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law Section, 2007 – Present
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation Section, 2011 – Present
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania’s Super Lawyers®, 2020-2022
- Selected as “Lawyer of the Year” for Construction Law by his peers in Best Lawyers in America®, 2022
- Selected for membership in Construction Lawyers Society of America
- Co-founder and Board member of Clear Thoughts Foundation, a Pittsburgh-based non-profit that raises money to fund the fight against dementia.
- Served as the attorney advisor for Hampton High School in the state-wide Mock Trial Competition sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
- Presented an educational program regarding bullying prepared by the Allegheny County Bar Association to local elementary schools.
- Burns White’s annual Construction Law Year In Review seminar, Organizer and presenter, September 2022
- “COVID-19 Vaccine: What Employers Need to Know,” Master Builders Association, January 2021
- “Construction Law Updates,” Master Interior Contractors Association, July 2019
- “Pennsylvania Mechanics’ Lien Law Amendments,” Keystone Contractors Association, Organizer and co-presenter, February 2017
- “Construction Claims: Challenges for Pennsylvania Owners,” Constructions Owners Association of America, Co-presenter, September 2016
- “BMI (Building Information Modeling) Contract Negotiation and Risk Allocation,” The Associated General Contractors of America, Co-presenter, 2011 – 2016
- “Construction Law – The Year in Review,” Breaking Ground Magazine, November 2023
- “Construction Materials: Where Are You and Why Do You Cost So Much?,” The Legal Intelligencer, August 2022
- “COVID-19: Impact on PA Construction Industry” Burns White Insights, March 2020