Douglas C. Hart
Douglas C. Hart is a Member of Burns White, practicing in the firm’s Litigation Group. An experienced trial attorney, Mr. Hart has a broad reaching litigation practice, handling commercial litigation, employment, real estate, construction, family law, and healthcare-related matters.
While maintaining a diverse litigation practice, he has successfully defended and prosecuted claims in both federal and state courts. Mr. Hart’s recent trial experience includes the successful prosecution of various real estate matters, the successful defense of various employment and construction-related matters, and other complex cases involving clients that span a variety of industries. Of his recent accomplishments, Mr. Hart was instrumental in the successful defense of an injunction proceeding involving a local community hospital and several of its physicians. In addition to his extensive trial and litigation experience, he is also a frequent speaker on various employment-related topics.
Prior to beginning his legal career, Mr. Hart, who is also a Certified Public Accountant, spent several years in the fields of accounting and finance. He received both J.D. and M.B.A. degrees from Duquesne University, and a B.A. from the University of Pittsburgh.
Mr. Hart is admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia.
Areas of Law
- Labor & Employment
- Family Law
- Financial Institution Litigation
- Duquesne University (J.D., 2003)
- Duquesne University (M.B.A., 1995)
- University of Pittsburgh (B.A., 1991)
Bar and Court Admissions
- West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pittsburgh Human Resources Association
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Selected for inclusion on the 2008-2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” lists
A lifelong resident of Pittsburgh, he is actively involved in the local community in many ways, including helping Providence Connections, Inc., a nonprofit family support center, achieve its mission of strengthening families and enriching lives as Treasurer of its Board of Directors.
- Western Pennsylvania Apartment Association
- Member, Board of Directors
- Providence Connections, Inc.
- Treasurer and Member, Board of Directors
“Managing Risk in Construction Contracts and Subcontracts,” coauthor, Breaking Ground Magazine, March 2019
“Medical Marijuana in the Workplace: Weeding Through the Legal Implications,” Counterpoint Newsletter, Pennsylvania Defense Institute, January 2019
- Burns White Employment Law Seminar, Pittsburgh, PA, April 2019