J. Roy Nunn
J. Roy Nunnjrnunn@burnswhite.com
“J.R.” Nunn serves as Counsel in the firm’s Railroad Law Group. Mr. Nunn is an accomplished legal counselor, advocate and change agent with more than three decades of proven success in litigation at both trial and appellate levels, and guiding in-house both client and industry initiatives as well as external advocacy teams. In addition to railroad subject matter expertise, Mr. Nunn provides thought and people leadership that optimizes litigation results and efficiencies while mitigating client risk.
Prior to joining Burns White, Mr. Nunn served as Assistant General Counsel for a Class I railroad, where his responsibilities included high exposure litigations and mass torts, docket management, risk avoidance, mitigation, and management, as well as compliance. He led initiatives to drive reform and positive change in the law, enabled by development of process-driven systems to focus on and manage cases and issues. Before transitioning in-house, Mr. Nunn served as Resident Managing Partner for the New York office of a multi-state firm, where he first chaired seven figure and punitive exposure jury trials. Before entering private practice, he clerked for an Article III judge in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Mr. Nunn received his Juris Doctor from the University of Toledo, College of Law, and his Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing from Ohio University.
He is admitted to practice law in New York.
Areas of Law
- Railroad Law
- Harvard Executive Leadership Program (2011-12)
- Duke University Executive Leadership Program (2008-09)
- University of Toledo, College of Law (J.D., 1988)
- Ohio University (B.B.A., 1985)
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of New York
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Past member representative to American Association of Railroad committees
- Past member representative to American Tort Reform Association committees
- Past member of National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel Executive and Program committees
- Leader on three teams honored with the “Chairman’s Award of Excellence,” the highest award bestowed by Class I railroad employer.
- Multiple recipient of individual “Spot Award,” bestowed by railroad management in recognition of excellence in outcomes and performance.
- Multiple recipient of individual “Thanx Award,” bestowed by railroad peers in recognition of partnership and contributions.
- “’Peircing’ the Veil of Asbestos Fraud,” American Tort Reform Association Legislative Conference for State Coalition Leaders, 2013
- “Asbestos Fraud,” American Tort Reform Association Membership Meeting and Legislative Outlook conference, 2013
- “The Challenges Presented Where Road Meets Rail” (panelist), ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Session, 2013
- “Fraud and Racketeering Findings in the Mass Asbestos Docket,” National Federation of Independent Business Conference, 2013
- “Rimkus v. Cammarata and Pension Committee v. Banc of America: When Is The Loss of ESI Sufficient for Severe Sanctions and What Can Parties Do to Avoid Sanctions” (panelist), ABA Section of Litigation and Center for CLE Teleconference and Live Audio Webcast, 2010
- “Recent Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, 2001