James A. Young
James A. Youngjayoung@burnswhite.com
Subsequent to completion of his clerkship with Justice Thomas W. Pomeroy in the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in 1972, Jim Young has litigated and tried civil cases in Philadelphia and southeastern Pennsylvania. He was admitted to the New Jersey bar in 1980 and regularly litigates cases there as well. During his 40 plus years of practice, Mr. Young has handled a wide variety of cases, including frequent defense of catastrophic personal injury claims as a result of alleged professional liability, corporate or individual negligence or product defect.
Mr. Young has represented hundreds of physicians, healthcare providers, and numerous hospitals in defense of professional negligence actions, EMTALA violations and corporate liability claims. He has defended a wide range of product manufacturers and individuals in brain injury, electrocution and burn cases, and a variety of construction claims involving personal injury and economic loss. Mr. Young also has experience handling state professional licensing issues and disciplinary matters (for physcician and attorneys), and FDA investigations involving clinical trials. Among the numerous commercial claims that he has handled are a wide variety of insurance coverage cases, securities, antitrust (criminal and civil), financial fraud, RICO, and ERISA claims. He has successfully defended six class action claims filed in both the state and federal courts.
Mr. Young has tried well over 90 cases to verdict before juries and many other cases to judges only. He has been selected as appellate counsel in arguments to the highest state court in Pennsylvania and numerous Circuit Courts across the United States. Mr. Young has appeared on briefs submitted to the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Young is a fellow in both the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the American College of Trial Lawyers. He has been named as a Super Lawyer for more than fifteen years, and recently identified as Top 100 in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. Upon invitation, he serves on the Inn of Court of the University of Pennsylvania Law School and he has been invited to lecture frequently about evidence and trial techniques.
Areas of Law
- Professional Liability Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Products Liability and Toxic Torts Litigation
- Professional Licensure and Disciplinary Matters
- The Dickinson School of Law (J.D., 1970)
- University of Delaware (B.S., 1967)
Bar and Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- State of New Jersey
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the First, Third, Fourth, Seventh, and Eighths Circuits
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers (2001 – present)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (2008 – present)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2006 – 2020)
- Top 100 Super Lawyers in Pennsylvania and Top 100 Lawyers in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania (2020)
- University of Pennsylvania Inns of Courts