Kurt F. Fernsler
Kurt F. Fernsler is a construction attorney with extensive experience counseling and representing owners, contractors, subcontractors, surety companies, and utilities. He prosecutes and defends construction claims in federal and state court in both Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Prior to joining Burns White, Mr. Fernsler was a shareholder at a mid-sized firm headquartered in Pittsburgh, and the founding member of a law firm which specialized in banking, real estate matters, construction and public utility law, and surety.
He is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, and a member of the Allegheny County and Pennsylvania Bar Associations. Mr. Fernsler received his J.D from Duquesne University, and graduated from the Pennsylvania State University with a B.S. in Finance.
Areas of Law
- Construction Law
- Professional Liability
- Duquesne University (J.D., 1996)
- The Pennsylvania State University (B.A., 1992)
Bar and Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- The Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- The United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Builders Exchange
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law Section, 2013 – Present
- Selected as one Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®, 2010 – 2018
- 10 Drafting Tips for Construction Documents—Common Contracting Concerns of Project Participants, PBI’s A Day on Real Estate, Co-presenter, March 2015
- Prevailing Wage Law in Pennsylvania, Co-presenter Lorman Education Services, June 18, 2010
- “COVID-19: Impact on PA Construction Industry” Burns White Insights, March 2020
- “Insurance and Bonding, ‘Miller Construction Guide,’” Co-author, CCH Incorporated, first published in 2003 with periodic updates
- “Pennsylvania Construction Law: Getting Started, Getting Covered, Getting Paid,”PBI Press, 2010, 2014