Burns White is committed to the longevity and success of the railroad transportation industry in North America
Safe, convenient, and efficient modes of transporting goods, services, and people are fundamental to the stability and financial well-being of our nation. Today’s economic and evolving high-tech landscape offers opportunities for the transportation industry to remain competitive and profitable.
Our nationally recognized, award-winning Railroad Law Group is composed of attorneys well-versed in risk management, regulatory compliance, transactional services, and litigation, and provides high-quality, creative, and cost-effective solutions to clients in the transportation industry.
Our litigation attorneys have extensive experience and success defending clients in:
- Complex occupational disease
- Toxic tort
- Environmental nuisance claims
- Catastrophic loss
- Property damage
- Personal injury
- Construction design
- Grade Crossing
- Derailment cases
These cases often involve sophisticated legal and technical issues requiring lengthy investigations and the use of industry experts. Our team is skilled at managing these complex matters with innovative and successful strategies.
Risk Management and Regulatory Compliance
We take proactive measures to minimize our clients’ exposure to risk and unnecessary litigation so they can stay on track to meet their business objectives, and regularly assist clients in navigating the complexities of compliance with OSHA, FRA and other regulations. Our team:
- Reviews and drafts operator and warning instructions and safety manuals
- Negotiates business contracts
- Comments on proposed legislation and consults on existing legislation
- Provides assistance with OSHA inspections
- Responds to OSHA citations and contests, and abatement orders
Utility Commission Representation
We file applications for openings, alterations, and abandonments of new, existing, or formerly used rail lines with the public utility commissions.
We represent clients in a variety of transactions, including:
- Drafting and negotiating property sales and lease agreements
- Handling mergers and acquisitions
- Consulting on construction projects